• About

    The Boston Brahmina is
    a copy editor, writer, and
    avid baker who blogs about media, politics, feminism,
    and dessert.

    She can be reached at:
    BostonBrahmina [at] gmail [dot] com

  • Advertisements

I voted!

They don’t give out stickers at my polling place, unfortunately, but I voted. It’s a glorious day in Boston, and I breezed in and out in under 15 minutes.

When I got there, there was only one person ahead of me in line, but all the booths were full. The poll-workers were great—quick, friendly, on the ball. The biggest hitch was that the scanner jammed briefly—so many ballots already!—but the cop checking off names joked around with the people in line and the machine was quickly fixed. On the way out, I got a free Marty Walsh pen (dunno why he was trying so hard; he was running unopposed) and I got exit-polled on my voting experience by some college kids working on a school project. I think I was home again half an hour after I left.

Of course, because I work from home, I had the freedom to go while most people were at work, which helped a lot. Last time there was an eloquent black man at the top of the ticket turnout was so strong that many polling places, including mine, ran out of ballots. (Your humble blogger is actually in the photo that accompanies that story.) That day it took me about two hours to vote. This year, Boston’s election chief promises, “I will have enough ballots for everyone to vote three times.” I hope so.

So what’s your voting story? Lines? Easy-breezy? How’s the weather where you are?


2 Responses

  1. The weather is fabulous today! I’m in Cambridge, MA where lately the morning temperatures have been around the freezing mark, but even at 7:45am with wet-from-showering hair and arriving to a line that jutted outdoors about 10 people, I didn’t need anything more than my coat to keep warm. I think I arrived at a lull; by the time I was at the door, the line behind me had grown to reach the street (30-40 people). The community center I was in was packed with people. The poll workers were a little frazzled, and the lines for checking in, finding a booth, checking out, and [why can’t I check in?] were a bit tangled. I found it made me extremely proud. Everyone was in a good mood, I chatted with the people in front of and behind me in the various lines, and got to proudly cast my vote and get my sticker. I got out by 8:30, so was a little late to work, but no big worries.

    Here’s hoping the rest of the day is as pleasant!

  2. I voted in Brookline but had to wait in line for almost 2 hours and I got there at 7:10! It’s nice when the weather’s nice though.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: